[pct-l] Instant coffee tastes awful?? Cowboy Coffee

Hi,

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Bluce Ree wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone had luck with soaking foods
> ie beans, rice instead of cooking them. I'd like to
> ditch my stove for this hike. Any ideas?

I've tried to rehydrate the freeze dried bean soup mentioned before.
Poured some water over it, put in fridge. It was eadible after a few
hours. Rice (not pre-boiled) might work too.

Many beans are poisonous if not cooked. They won't kill you, but might
make you feel very sick (talking of experience):
http://www.bellybytes.com/bytes/beans.shtml
The cooking time will be much shorter of soaked overnight though.

Peas and rice can be prepared by filling a thermos with 1/4 of grain and
boiling water. Next morning they are ready to eat. Problem: thermos cans
are too heavy for most hikers.

Ilja.