[pct-l] What restocking hikers buy

monty - I've never thru-hiked, and never been on the PCT south of
Kennedy meadows, so I dunno if my experience will be of much help, but
here is what I always wanted when I was in trail towns in the sierra:

1.  V-8 Juice.  I sounds goofy, but I always craved V-8 after several
days on the trail.  I think its because of the electrolytes (V-8 has a
ton of sodium an potassium)

2.  Hot Meal that I didnt have to cook.

3.  Deet - during wet years, deet is almost as valuable as food, but i
would guess that's not an issue near warner springs.  Then again, in
dry years you don;t even have to carry deet at all, so this is
definitely a risky thing to stock.

4.  white gas - i know alot of people are going to the esbit tabs and
stuff, but i think lots of people are tsill using white gas.

5.  Ice Cream - i always seemed to like to hit the trail with an ice
cream treat that easy to carry on the trail, like a eskimo pie, or a
fudgecicle, or a snickers ice cream bar, etc.

6.  A shower - I would be willing to pay for a shower in lots of
places, but they are just not available in many places.

7.  Lipton Instant Noodles - these are very easy to cook and can be
used on the trail, don't require special storage, and taste pretty
good.  They are also very cheap, which is a great quality for both
hikers and vendors.

8.  Dehydrated Pasta Sauces - these are VETY hard to find, but i know
that most thru-hikers and many section hikers carry pasta and get tired
of eating the same thing over and over again.  a new flavor for pasta
was something that I was looking for at trail stops.

HTH.

peace,
dude