[pct-l] What restocking hikers buy

Good morning, Monty,

This is a really good idea, and I am anxious to see the list when it becomes
available.  Long-distance hikers represent a very tiny niche market in the
retailing industry, and the needs are unique and not easily predicted by
modern market research methods.  We must assume that most merchants know
little about the activity.  For example, if a merchant wanted to stock for
PCT hikers, here is what he may know:  1) Hikers walk, they do not drive
cars.  2) Most PCT hiking is done in the summer, and much of that in desert
areas.  3) Long-distance hiking is an adult activity, with very few children
... particularly small children ... participating.  Therefore, probably the
very last item a merchant would stock is automotive fuel line antifreeze
(HEET).  Another example might be food.  The obvious plan would be to lay-in
a good supply of prepackaged backpacking food, although few long-distance
hikers use the stuff.  More popular would be dry packaged macaroni and
cheese meals, in spite of the conventional marketing wisdom that the
overwhelming percentage of macaroni and cheese is purchased by busy families
with small children.

I don't know why distribution of this list should be limited to merchants
between Campo and K-M.  Rather than an ADZ responsibility, I suggest the
PCTA should pick up this cudgel and, among other things, send the list to
Chambers of Commerce in all of the cities and towns in the Town Guide, with
a text excerpt of the Guide's comments about their level of support.

And yes, I know:  "Nothing is impossible for someone who doesn't have to do
it."

Steel-Eye