[pct-l] Politics and the PCT

Politics and the PCT

While this is not a political discussion board, like it or not, politics have a great effect on the PCT. Perhaps more than anything else, other than time. I urge each one of us who so dearly love this trail to continue to fight to protect and preserve it, and the best means of this is, unfortunately, involves political action. Here's what you can do:

1) Join the PCTA if you haven't already. Contribute what you can. Their voice is your voice, only spoken better. While I don't agree with everything the PCTA does, they are our first line of defense in fighting for the trail.

2) Encourage others to join the PCTA as well. The real power is in numbers, not just in dollars.

3) Vote for environmentally-friendly initiatives and candidates. No further comment.

4) When the time is appropriate, and it always is when it comes to the PCT, help promote the trail. Give slide shows, write articles for newspapers or magazines, host a website with your love of the trail plastered all over it. (I am amazed at the sheer number of PCT-related websites out there. Do a web search; it's unreal!) Of course, promoting the trail is a double-edged sword. It may get more people on the trail and this may spoil it to some, but let's face it, it's 2004 and it is NOT a crowded trail. It's unlikely it will be in 2040. Hardship has its rewards!

5) Stay involved politically when it pertains to the PCT. Write to politicians who are directly involved in the PCT's future when they face tough decisions.

Congress will likely continue to cut National Scenic Trail budgets further each year. It's up to people like us to keep the dream alive. Do what you can! Vote PCT!

-Chuckie