[pct-l] ultralight packs

On Nov 1, 2004, at 2:02 PM, susan stark wrote:
> Wow - I am impressed with the great info thats shared here - Ive
> learned a great deal.
> OK, its been yrs since Ive purchased gear.  Gota start somewhere -
> packs.
> Whats the scoop on ultralight packs?  Any opinions out there?

I used the Osprey Aether 60 on the AT and the Granite Gear Vapor Trail
on the PCT.  I liked both packs but would stick with the Vapor Trail to
trim about a pound compared to the Aether 60.

The Vapor Trail was quite popular on the PCT this year.  I carried a
bear canister and ice axe from Kennedy Meadows to South Lake Tahoe with
6-7 days of food and the pack held up like a champ.  I figure I maxed
out around 35-37 pounds which is above the rated capacity for the
Vapor Trail but it was still quite comfortable.

My maximum loads:
sierra: base + ice axe + canister + 7 days food + water
desert: base + 6 days food + 3L water (leaving Mojave)
desert: base + 2 days food + 7L water (Scissors Crossing @ 104 degrees)

If you choose to go from Kennedy Meadows to VVR without a resupply stop
then you'll need to make sure you can carry 10-11 days of food in your
pack.  With the low snow this year, folks did this section in 8-10
days but that might be a little unusual.  Climbing Mt. Whitney needs to
be factored in also.