[pct-l] ultralight packs

Hi Mark,

Your email caught my attention when you mentioned using the Granite Gear Vapor. I use and pretty much enjoy the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone but do have a nit about the side pockets. A1-liter water bottle can be stored in a side pocket but it is virtually impossible to replace the water bottle in the pocket without taking off the pack. I finally purchased pouch to mount to a pack strap but it is still difficult to place the water bottle back into the pouch and the pouch w/bottle tends to bounce around. Any suggestions?
 I do like the Ozone's 3800CU capacity. Fully loaded for 5 days including Garcia bear cannister is 18 lbs, and tops out at 30 lbs including food and 3 liters of water.
Leo.

> [...]

Leo.

> > Wow - I am impressed with the great info thats shared here - Ive learned a
> > great deal.
> > OK, its been yrs since Ive purchased gear. Gota start somewhere - packs.
> > Whats the scoop on ultralight packs? Any opinions out there?
>
> I used ultralight packs as my primary pack for a couple of seasons and
> then decided that a light weight pack with a frame (granite gear vapor
> trail @ 34oz) was a better choice for me. Some people love ultralight
> packs, others don't. Just make sure the rest of your load is
> ultralight or you will overtax an ultralight pack. I recorded my
> observations:
>
> http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html#ultralight
>
> You should also check out the reviews at

I've been wanting to get user feedback on the Gossamer Gear Mariposa but so
far, there have been no entries made at www.backpackgeartest.org and the
folks at backpackinglight only had a pre-production prototype.
Has anyone tried one of these?  At about 1 pound, with a partial frame, the
Mariposa looks very interesting.
joe