[pct-l] Cell Phone Essentails??????

I agree that in the day of ULTRA light minalist long distance hiking that a cell phone is NOT essential for the HIKER ---- but it gives those left behind a facade of "peace of mind."  And it is an additional LAYER of security for the hiker - for those of us hiking solo for the first time -- which was the case for me.

Bighummel@aol.com wrote:
Reality Check writes:
I'd love to hear from the old timers, yeah the class of 77, as to what type
of phone they carried along the PCT back than. I mean, given that the hills
were higher and the fords were deeper and the wind was always in their face.
I'm sure they must have had more of a need for mobile phone coverage.

LOL, this '77'er carried 4 cent postcards all pre-addressed for my parent's
home in Sth Calif. At each re-supply point I would put one in the mail with my
arrival date and anticipated next re-supply point arrival date and a few
notes. I only called my parents twice from the trail environs, once in
Independence to tell them that I was okay after getting hit with the late Spring storm
and not seeing the Search and Rescue they called out for me, and the second
time from Snoqualmie Pass to coordinate them picking me up in Manning Park. They
didn't even have phone calling cards back then and hardwired push button
phones had just come about replacing the old dial types. We've come a long way,
baby.

Greg