[pct-l] Cell Phones and FREE EMERGENCY PHONE

I have a sailboat (32' Ericson, for any fellow salty dogs...) and have
had to run the gambit of "out there" communications, to the point
where there is absolutely no way to get coverage.

Actualy these days, if you want to, you can use satelite phones, but
the coverage of the different constellations is important. Some of the
orbits only put them over major land masses + 200 miles out to sea or
so, which is 99.999% of the population.

Globestar and Iridium are the two biggies for open water use, if you
have cash to put out. How much exactly?

Well, figure in anywhere from $500-$1500 for the phone, plus maybe
$100 or so for "coverage", plus another $0.20 - $2.00 a minute for
usage.

Then there's the weight aspect; they're not the lightweight cell
phones you might be used to. In order to send a signal to a satellite
(even a leo), you need to put out A LOT of power, and the antenna is
highly tuned and very effecient. When most people see a true satellite
phone, it reminds them of something from 1989. The batteries are big,
the phone is big, and the price is big.

For open water use, most sailors opt for an SSB radio, which will give
you about 500-3000 miles. But that doesn't really work too well either
for backpacking; the necassary equipment and cost for an SSB with that
kind of range makes the satellite phone look like a toothpick.

Eric