[pct-l] Pre-training

There has been a number of articles in the past few years which argue
that training for endurance sports doesn't require huge outlay of time
such as:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200304/200304_bodywork_1.html

I haven't thru-hiked the PCT, I am a section hiker.  But I do tackle
reasonable mileage (20-30 miles / day) when I am doing my sections.
At the beginning of the season I do intervals for two hours twice a
week, hiking as fast as I can over a trail that gains approx 1k ft
every mile carrying a 40lb pack (heavier than I normally carry).  I do
this for four weeks and I am ready to tackle the trail.

--mark