[pct-l] Re: Dress Me Up...... - Sleeping Bags

Aloha All!

I swear y'all are getting me all excited!  I just want to run out and buy one of everything recommended just so I have an excuse to play!  Obviously that ain't happen'n.  Whew!  Chills!

On a serious note, one of the first things I'm noticing is that everyone seems not to mind sleeping in their clothes or jackets.  I realize that it's a sensible thing to do but isn't that uncomfortable?  Wouldn't you prefer to sleep comfy warm without a bunch of binding clothing?  I know, an ounce is an ounce is an ounce but......  Thoughts?

William in Chicago:  My "second set of silk long-johns" would be intended for sleeping only actually.  They of course could be worn if necessary as another layer of clothing.  The main purpose was to have an item that served two purposes -- keeping my bag cleaner and an additional layer if needed.  Got that idea recently from you awesome people!  Thank you!

Patrick Sarnacke:  Thank you for the info on the Moonstone 800 Lucid.  Moonstone makes a good bag; I like my Optimum.  I'll still give it a look.  Never hurts to look!

Mountain Goat:  45* bag?  I know the desert is hot .... during the day but having once lived for a short time not far from Tucson, AZ, I also know that it can be 90* today and snow the next morning.  I do like the idea of a 15 oz bag but..... I'm back to that cold thing.  You're a braver hiker than I!

Jeff Morehead:  I had to grin when I read your missive.  Which are you - a chemical engineer or geek?  <g>  I'm guessing engineer myself!

David:  You're the second person to mention this JacksRBetter Old Rag Mtn quilt.  Sounds interesting.  As does the Arc Alpinist Photontove mentioned.  While working in London I noticed they were big into the quilt like bags (no "back/bottom", just a top with straps for holding it to your pad) and I thought they were crazy.  To know then what I know now!  I am not opposed to the quilt idea if I can convince myself that there is a way to keep it over me.  I have a problem with my bed sheets!  I do own, and love dearly, my Western Mountaineer Flight jacket.  Now that I think of it, maybe I could sleep in that thing.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  (Btw, 5.25 # sleep and carry and you think there are lighter options?  You guys and gals are nuts!... and I love it... I think.)

Photonstove:  Another vote for the Arc Alpinist.  Obviously another one worth a look.  My "gear to check out" list is supposed to have shrunk with y'all's help; not grown!  Winter is going to go soooooo fast!  Thanks.

Thank you to all.  Keep those comments coming!