FW: RE: [pct-l] Dress Me Up & Pack Me Out - Sleeping Bag/System

Monty Tam
metam01@earthlink.net
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.

tarp (7oz.) with treking poles.
> 8 MSR Needle stakes (Total 3ozs.)
> Shelter in High Sierras:  Six Moon Designs Europa II (2 pounds!!!and BIG
for one!) No ground cloth.
> The tent was for mosquitoes much more than any other reason. Plenty of
room for me and my gear with more room left over.

> I stayed warm, dry, fed and safe the entire hike even when there was ice
on the tent.

> 2#8oz.-2#3oz Complete sleep system with a Tarp.
>
> 3#10oz. Complete sleep system in the Sierras with 32 degree bag and a
Tent.

> I'm pretty proud of my present gear package.  9-12 pound base weight.
> If you really want to see the Pro's, Check out the gear show at the
ADZPCTKO next April.
> I'm still learning from what I saw and heard there.
>
> When I first heard about really cutting weight,...................I said
no way.
> I think I'm the only one who's every resisted that change.
>
> Warner Springs Monty

PCT thru-hike, I'm now reevaluating my current sleeping system.  Right now
I have three bags to choose from:  my Feathered Friends Raven (10*, down,
slightly overstuffed in the footbox, weight of 2# 10+ oz (I think)), a
Moonstone 3D Optima (10*, polarguard, long, weight 3# 4oz (used for kayak
camping), and a North Face Blue Kazoo (20*, down, cut wider, weight of 3#,
3 oz (I think)).

> > I used the North Face on the '01 AT hike, the Feathered Friends on the
'03 AT hike and the Moonstone when kayak camping.  They're all good bags
but I tended to sleep colder in the North Face.  The Feathered Friends
allowed me to sleep downright toasty warm and naked on some nights where
everyone one else was wearing everything they had and still freezing!  On
the other hand, it good be too hot at times.  The Moonstone really isn't
even a consideration but I thought I'd throw it out.  I also used a bag
liner but have since learned (from you smart folks) about using a second
set of silk longjohns instead.  Multi-purpose.  Love it!

> > I'm hearing much about the Western Mountaineering Ultralite and
Versalite.  Thoughts on these or any others?