[pct-l] rain theory

> > What would be the hiking equivalent to a wet-suit?
> No need for equivalents, go with the real thing!  I'll post up at a
> trailhead in WA and sell all my various wetsuits!

LoL... so how many mil thickness wet suit is appropriate for hiking in
40F with rain and 20mph wind?  I guess you can be truly wet and warm.
I will have to revise my statement.  On the other hand, divers have to
switch from wet to dry suits as the water temp drops below their
bodies ability to stay warm.

I hope the following doesn't sound to melodramatic... but I thinkthere
are some things which are good to keep in perspective.  You lose heat
*25* times faster in still water than in still air of the same temp.
Of course this is when immersed in water, not just wet... but you this
should help you appreciate why being wet can be a real threat to
staying warm.  Also keep in mind that once your core body temp drop a
mere 7F, you are starting to get into serious trouble.  When immersed
in 50F water (without insulation) most people hit full exhaustion
after 60 minutes and survival is seriously at risk after 3 hours.
This is a long way of saying be careful and thoughtful and know the
risk / trade-offs you are making.

--Mark