[pct-l] RE: What do use to carry your 2 gallons per day of water

My initial reaction was that 1 Liter per 4 miles seemed high. So I wrote
down our water routine. Remember this is 2 of us.

At night we pumped 4 Liters of water. We used 1/2 liter for hot drinks and
another 1/2 liter for rehydrating food for supper. We boiled another 1/2
liter for hot drinks for breakfast. The remainder of a 2 liter bottle was
used for cleanup and evening drinks.

We started hiking with 1 liter apiece and that normally would last until
after noon. At noon we drank gatoraide that required a 1/2 liter.

Shortly after noon we were looking for the next water source. We filled our
2 1 liter bottles. But we drank as much as possible and refilled our
bottles. That amount is an unknown. In late afternoon we stoped for another
shot of gatoraide - another half liter. The water we pumped in early
afternoon usually lasted until we were finished for the day. We tried to
pump our dinner water at or near our campsite so we didn't have to carry it.

We try to hike at least 20 mile days. We filled bottles with 6 liters of
water and drank an unknown amount - probably less than a liter. I'll use 7
liters for 20 miles for 2 people, or  5.7 miles per person per liter. That
converts to 1.5 gallons per person per day.

If we were in desert conditions, high heat, or had frequent good water
sources, we varied this routine.

We are planning our next trip using 2 gallons per person per day as our
water requirement in the deserts. We think that is doable, but probably on
the edge. The Desert Survivors web page
(http://www.desert-survivors.org/desert_do_and_dont.htm)  has some good
water advice for desert hiking. They say the rule is 1 gallon per person per
day. If the temperature is over 85 degrees you'll need more. They also
recognize that different people have different water needs.

Ken