[pct-l] health insurance

On Oct 16, 2004, at 2:52 AM, Eric wrote:
> Being young (not too many chronic problems.... yet) and living close
> to Mexico (cheap perscription drugs) I don't have health insurance.
> But I'm planning on getting some for the year of this trip, including
> my training for it. Anyone have any thoughts on this aside from the
> obvious (get good coverage and don't get totally screwed in the
> price)?

Shop around for a high deductible plan with no prescription rider.
Something like a $2500/year deductible should end up being in the
$50-$75/month range.  This type of plan will cover the costs of any
serious injury or illness.

If you don't want to spend more than $10-$20 for a doctor's visit then
you are going to pay a much larger monthly premium. You can certainly
get lower deductible plans but you'll find that the monthly premium
grows quite quickly.  Only you can decide if the increased monthly
premium offsets your out-of-pocket expenses.

I ended up going with Golden Rule (I think they are national).  I liked
their plan because I could keep it even if I ended up with a job that
provided health insurance.  The benefit is that I won't have to switch
doctors or go through a pre-existing conditions survey for any new
insurance.  Most employers will adjust your basic pay rate if you
decline
to use their health plan.  Many insurance plans *don't* provide coverage
sometime after you become eligible under an employers plan so make sure
you ask
about this.

Radar
homepage.mac.com/at2002/