[pct-l] Resupply Prep

Erik;

I was working on the resupply logistics, and have also decided to do a hybrid.
Your resupply stratagy is no doubt different than mine, but if interested,
http://www.geocities.com/pct_2005/resupply.html

I decided to do the 2/3 compromise. Buying as I went won't work for me, because I have found that I have a dry skin condition, particularly when I eat poorly. And Corn Syrup is also bad for my skin. So, since I can't just eat Potatoe chips, Snickers (no offence to Snickers my hiking buddy), and corn syrup is in almost everything, I am a lot better off by sending packages at most of the resupply points.

Since sending heavy packages is very costly, the 2/3 compromise is sending lunches, and parts of dinner and breafast, and buying the rest as I go. Since I eat Lunch all day long (nuts, dried fruits, ect) these can be packed way in advance, but will plan to buy a fair amount of dinner at the resupply points.

I estemated that I will buy 1 LB for food for every day of the trip in advance, since the average resupply point is just over 4 days, this means 4LB packages. I went to USPS and found that a 4LB package sent to different points would cost about $6, but in some cases almost $8.

For those interested: 28 resupply pointsX $7 = $196
Note: This does not include the cost of sending a bounce box along the trail...
Hope this information is helpful

-Moutain Goat-

Eric <radpin@gmail.com> wrote:
While I know it's just barely fall, I think these logistics are worth
working out right around now. I understand the two models of resupply.
One where everything is mailed ahead, and the other where everything
is bought along the way. I would imagine most people do a hybrid of
both, and I'll be in that group......