[pct-l] Personal experience with dogs

For whatever it's worth, the best time I had backpacking with a dog:

Siberian Husky named Kira, January in the Presidential Mountains in
New Hampshire. Out for about a week, climbing Mt Adams and Jefferson.
There was lots of snow, absolutely no one else around, and the
benefits of a husky became evident very quickly. But even then I woke
up in the morning to see that she had chewed through her leash (my
dogs are now on chain leashes, which they carry, at night), and was
gone. I yelled out for her, and a black and white snowdog came running
in from the forest, apparently she was just smelling the scenery. But
maybe if I had slept in for another hour she would have been long
gone, and since she's domesticated, probably dead within a week or so.

When I go with my dog, everything about the trip is related to the
dog, and centers around making sure that aspect of things stays under
control and rolls along smoothly. I wouldn't want that much
responsibility on the PCT, which I'm doing for me.