[pct-l] Proof of a Bear-Can

After doing a little digging and talking with a Criminal Justice Professor,
I found a couple of things out concerning search warrants and such. At least
under California law.

A warrant may not be issued for a civil infraction. The court cannot issue a
warrant if the violation is not a crime. And I believe violating the bear
can rule is an infraction.

So, no judge can issue a search warrant to see if you have a bear can or
not. It would have to be issued for some actual  crime. But if the Ranger
had probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed, he/she would
probably be able to conduct a warrantless search of you and your pack. No
different than if you were on the street with a purse or bag. The officer
would still have to show probable cause that you were involved in a
crime..and not just an infraction...that is why they cannot legally search
you for a traffic infraction..but if they see a weapon or smell
marijuana..then they have probable cause for a vehicle search.

all of this discussion is very interesting..I'm currently taking criminal
justice classes so it fits right in...
But bottom line is that I think the rules state that you need to store your
food in a Bear Can or bear locker when you set up camp..It doesn't state
that you have to have the bear can with you while you hike...i.e. sharing a
can with another hiker..so I don't think that they have a leg to stand on in
court unless they catch you at camp storing your food improperly.

I'm sure that the regulations will be revised in time to close all of the
loopholes. I know that when you buy a fishing license, you have basically
agreed to let game wardens search your ice chest to make sure that you
haven't exceeded the regulated limits.Something like that will probably be
included in wilderness permits in the future.

Redwood