[pct-l] wildlife at Horseshoe Meadows

I don't really know the flora and fauna out west,
but I can tell you that out east we have fisher
spiders (aka water spiders) whose leg span
rivals, if not exceeds that of a tarantula.  The
main difference is that the fisher spider's legs
are thinner (though usually longer) and the body
and abdomen are smaller (though as big as, if not
larger than a great wolf spider).  If this
sighting occurred near a body of water or along a
slow moving creek, this might be what he saw.

Just my 2 cents,

Shane

-------------------
<<One of the guys I hike with, swears that a
tartantula ambled across his groundcloth, while
sleeping at the trailhead campground at Horseshoe
Meadows.  I told him that I'd never heard of
those spiders living at that altitude, but he was
adamant.  He spent his childhood in the Borrego
desert, and certainly is familiar with
tarantulas, but I'd still
probably bet a nickle that he was dreaming.

Any arachnologists out there?

Eckert>>