[pct-l] Sleepless on the trail

Okay, okay, I admit it; when I can't sleep on the trail, I'm often thinkin' about scary stuff. I'm a weenie and that's all there is to it. There were many nights out of my 178 nights on the A.T. that I didn't sleep all that well, not because my flimsy (but lightweight) 3/4 Z-rest was on top of a rock, and not because I was too cold or too hot, but because I thought that if I listened long enough and hard enough I'd hear something BIG with BIG teeth and BIG claws snap a twig oh so close to my tent. Why am I writing this? No clue.

Sometimes it was the thunderstorms that kept me up. Man, I'm afraid of lightning. I'll take big scary things with big fangs over lightning any day. I could be fast asleep, and that first little far-off rumble or barely discernable flash would have me wide awake in no time.

Best nights' sleep I got out there was when, barring a thunderstorm, my tent was smack in the middle of a group of tents, or when I was in a shelter, where other hikers would surely protect me from anything scary.  Then it was like, bring on the storms!  Silly, huh?

Maybe I need therapy or something. At any rate, I'm planning a bunch more semi-sleepless nights on the PCT in 2006. Yay!

Ramkitten
(Gee, that was cathartic)