[pct-l] Sleepless on the trail

No, not thinking of scary things (or even non-scary things). Most evenings I'm
pooped from hiking and you'd think that would be enough to knock me out, but I'm
just not drowsy, if that makes any sense. I think I've tried every sleep pad out
there and I'm loathe to go back to my old, really heavy Thermarest, but that's
about what I'm ready to do unless I hear of something better. The most sleep I
got this time was about 4 hours one night; the other nights were about two.
First night off the trail, but not in my own bed, I slept for about ten hours.
Amazing what the human body can do on very little sleep (at least for a while).

Pillow-wise, I found this year that boots (turned on their side) got me the
height I needed and various other items from my pack (when I wasn't wearing
them) gave me the padding I needed, so I consider "the pillow problem" more or
less solved, at least until I switch to trail runners. (Yes, the smell is bad;
no, I don't think that was what was keeping me awake :-))