[pct-l] Re: Ice Axe Experience Question

Learning self-arrest with an ice axe is smart. Learning how to safely
traverse a snow field without falling (or tripping an avalanche) in the
first place is even smarter. Remember that reading, no matter how good the
material and presentation, only teaches you theory.

NOTHING beats hands-on training and repeated practice. When you fall, your
reaction has to be automatic; you won't have time to think about it when it
happens. For example, if I know that this year's trek includes the potential
for snow travel, I take my trusty ice axe and go up to Mount Hood and do
exactly what I'm recommending below. Just because I knew how to do it one or
more years ago does not mean I can still do it automatically. I keeping
practicing until my confidence level reaches what I consider a comfortable
level.

If you can't find any formal instruction, try to find someone with practical
experience who will teach you. If you can't find anyone, read the books,
then go find yourself that bunny slope somewhere and practice on your own.
Pick a slope with a gentle run-out where you won't slide too far or into
anything hard or pointy. Dress appropriately. Snow is very abrasive and tiny
ice crystals can cut skin and some clothing fairly easily.1st, start by
sliding downhill, on your stomach, feet-first. Celebrate your success with
hot chocolate.

As you gain confidence, learn to arrest sliding:
2nd: on your back,  feet-first.  Celebrate.
3rd: on your stomach, head-first. Celebrate.
4th: on your back, head-first (the hardest arrest of all). Celebrate.
5th: repeat the above by walking with a partner beside you, directly across
the slope, ice axe in the ready position. Have your partner shove you over
unexpectedly. Arrest. Celebrate.

As you gain confidence, move on to progressively steeper slopes, but always
with a safe run-out. Celebrate.

You should now have the skills and more importantly, the self-confidence, to
stop yourself in a fall on snow. That should be all you need for the PCT. If
it is so steep and/or icy that you feel you need crampons and ropes, you are
out of your league - TURN BACK and wait for it to melt out some more. The
PCT is not supposed to be a mountaineering experience.

Wandering Bob