[pct-l] sorels for snowshoeing

I've done way too much snowshoeing, and loved every minute of it. My
breif suggestions:

Light weight hikers ( I use vasque zephyrs) were fine with my tubbs
snowshoes. Goretex lined for the melted snow that tends to make
everything wet. Knee high gaiters ( I use outdoor research crocodiles)
for the snow that would otherwise get in your boot, and for post
holing, which happens when you take off your snowshoes (or sometimes
even with them on, if there is a TON of fresh powder) to keep from
getting abrasions on your legs.

Also, I would highly recommend keeping your boots inside your tent,
and possibly in your bag if you can manage it. However you do it
(sometimes I wrap them in an article of clothing and use as a pillow),
I'd try to keep them warm through the night. You'll heat them up and
melt snow on them, and have a decent amount of moisture from your foot
at the end of the day.

Putting them out in the vestibule will yield bootcicles; kind of like
your boots, except frozen solid. Terribly uncomfortable to wear for
the first hour or so, not to mention robbing incredible amounts of
heat until the ice and frost disipates.

Climbing and hiking mountains in new england in the winters made me
fall in love with that type of adventure. Everything is so pure in the
snow, and there is no silence quite like it.

This email has just convinced me to grab my kelty typhoon and do some
winter backpacking in the sierras in a few months....

Eric