[pct-l] RE: deaths in San Bernardinos/San Gabriels last winter

I live in Victorville and get the San Bernardino paper.  There was much
discussion over the adverse mountain conditions last January that led to
8 deaths.
The severe rainstorm in December that caused flash flooding and the
deaths of 15 campers in stream canyons was an ice storm at higher
elevations.  A long cold spell allowed this ice to linger, thaw and
refreeze a few times, producing a glass-like surface on the trails.  The
authorities conclude that the deaths occurred when people (experienced
hikers who didn't expect snow mountaineering conditions) fell off these
ice glazed trails.  Many trails in the area are side cut on steep slopes
and a fall could easily be fatal under such conditions.  But such
conditions are so rare in these ranges that you could have hiked the
same hike a dozen Januarys in a row and never encountered such conditions.
I don't know the facts in each case, but I doubt if any of these hikers
had crampons, ice axe, or the recent experience to know how to use them.
Marion