[pct-l] re: death of a hiker

I strongly agree with the statement that stream crossings are inherently
quite dangerous.  It brought to mind an incident from 1992.  Hiking with
a boy scout group north in Kern Canyon, we had a crossing of Whitney
creek which was about 15 feet wide and  4 inches deep.  Most of the boys
rockhopped.  I and some others were taking off our boots to wade when my
husband began to rock hop.  Halfway across, a rock rolled under his foot
and he fell into the water.  His face hit a rock hard and he was knocked
unconscious.  I realized he was lying face down in the water, not
moving.  I yelled to the boys on the far bank, "get him out the water!"
It took four of them to haul his limp body and pack out of the water and
get him onto the bank, where he swiftly regained consciousness.
Most of us probably wouldn't think to unfasten a hipbelt when
rockhopping a shallow stream--such rockhops are such a frequent
occurrence in the Sierras.  Had this incident occurred when he was
hiking solo, he could have drowned in four inches of water.
It was a sobering incident for all concerned.  Since that year we have
hiked with two poles, and significantly reduced the frequency of falling
during stream crossings and on loose downhill tread.
On that note, last week, while hiking the PCT the last two miles north
into Sonora Pass, I slipped 8 times on loose sloping tread and my poles
caught me every time.  As soon as I got home I bought a new pair of
shoes with better tread.
Marion Davison