[pct-l] Multiuse Gear

In a message dated 8/25/2004 11:57:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
wandering_bob@comcast.net writes:

> Multi-use is a fine concept but logic demands that at some point, safety
> over-rides convenience. I'll gladly carry my shelter and rain gear as
> separate items, even knowing that they are interchangeable (redundant) if
> something destroyed one of them enroute.

I agree, dual purpose can get as rediculous as cutting down tooth brush
handles.

I use my hiking poles as tent or tarp supports.  Silnylon sleeping bag stuck
sack as food storage bag if hanging, otherwise in ziplocks.  Rain jacket as
hood and pack cover in certain types of rain, otherwise a light trash bag as a
pack cover.  Trail shoes as cocktail cup holder when it's time to sit back and
relax.   And perhaps later that evening, empty water bottle as pee bottle, but
I usually carry a seperate one of them.

I suppose I could use my pee bottle as a cocktail cup.  : )

Sly