[pct-l] Multiuse Gear

I agree to your terms of Base weight. And aparently am about 1LB over the state of the art.

Pack 2.5LB (Mountain Smith 2003 model)
Bag   2.0 LB 3OZ (Sub Kilo, 20 degree bag) (actualy for the warmer sections 15OZ.)
Tent  2.3 LB (Well, I will buy the Micro Zoid if I can fit in it)
Pad    .6        (Not the Z rest, the other one)............And the damages are:
--------------------------
       7LB (Plus a few ounces, but us backpackers don't care about a mere few ounces do we?)

-Mountain Goat-

Jeff Olson <jjolson@uwyo.edu> wrote:
The below can be seen to be too complicatedl. The base pack involves four
items; the pack, the sleeping quilt, the tent, and the sleeping pad...

This is the foundation of all that is technologically possible. Six pounds
for these four items is the current state of the art. Sure there are the
freaques who can get it down to four pounds. But they define the
self-flagellating end of the continuum.

The comfort end involves a fully self-enclosed tent, a pad, and a sleeping
quilt that in the tent, on the sleeping pad, is way too warm...

The self-sufficient solo hiker keeps his/her feet outside. That's the
bottom line for long distance competence. If you haven't already discovered
you not only like, but truly love, sleeping with your feet outside the
sleeping quilt, you need to continue to work out... :0)

long distance hiking is individual - yes... However, the basic six pounds
each of us, you and "I" decide are necessary, is a common frame for
discussion.... What do you think????

Six pounds. That's the base. No more, no less...

Jeffrey, waiting for the onslaught....:0)