[pct-l] RE: correct pronunciation of Tahquitz

Correct pronunciation is the later, tah-keetz.  Started climbing there
in the late 1960's.

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:22:50 -0700
From: "Mike Saenz" <msaenz@mve-architects.com>
Subject: [pct-l] PCT pronunciation (was:Tuolumne pronunciation,	was
	"Re: stoves")
To: "James Payne" <JPayne@standardsteel.com>,
	<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: matt@mattmaxon.com, Slyatpct@aol.com

Since we're on the subject:

I've hear a couple of versions of "Tahquitz" (PCT Section "B", above
Idyllwild).
The most often hear is "TAH-quitz".
Though I've heard another, from a Native American, as "tah-KEETZ",
which, to me, has a more authentic sound and cadence to it.

Does anyone know what Tahquitz means, and what the correct pronunciation
is?

Given it's location over the Devil's Slide trail from the PCT at Saddle
Junction to town, I'm inclined to believe it means: "It's a butt kicker
going down, too..."

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m