[pct-l] Re: Scary Bear story and not hanging food

In a message dated 7/23/2004 12:16:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
aandg@telusplanet.net writes:

> So it would seem that the rules are not strictly enforced during early
> season otherwise we would have been fined $$$! Maybe the fact that we were
> making an effort with food storage made a difference?

You weren't breaking any rules unless you planned on camping within proximity
of Glen Aulin or over 9600 feet.  Otherwise the counter balance method is
perfectly legal in that section.

Unless someone can point out otherwise, the only section of PCT I can find
where it's deemed neccesary to carry a bear canister is between Tully Hole and
Donuhue Pass.  I don't have my databook handy, but I'm fairly sure I hiked
through that area without camping.

Sly