[pct-l] Re: update OR WA: I'M WRONG!

God, how embarassing!

I don't know how I messed this information up so badly: The ritzy hotel
in Stevenson is The Dolce Skamania Lodge. The nice, low-key hotel in
Skykomish IS the Sky River Inn. I had nice stays in both places.

I apologize for my mistake.

Here are revised entries:

P 206, Supplies: Stevenson is an utterly delightful town, with a
variety of stores, motels, bed-and-breakfasts, and truly excellent
restaurants. Hikers contemplating a layover day are urged to stay
there, rather than in more-limited, noisy and busy Cascade Locks.
Possibly the finest accommodation in Stevenson, and the one closest to
the PCT, is the Dolce Skamania Lodge, 1131 SW Skamania Lodge Way,
Stevenson, WA 98648. Call: (509) 427-7700 or (800) 221-7117. Their web
site is: www.skamanialodge.dolce.com. It is one of the priciest
near-trail hotels, but it is luxurious, and has its own laundry,
sundries store, a USFS- sponsored natural history store, hot tubs, and
absolutely sumptuous dining. The next morning, you can cut behind the
golf course on a trail back to the highway and quickly regain the PCT.

P 268, Supplies: Skykomish: This town is not hard to reach. The highway
is very busy. Skykomish has a trail angel who often drives hikers back
to the trailhead. It has 2 nice restaurants, a very small minimart that
is probably inadequate for most through-hikers, and a PCT register at
the post office. The main hotel/restaurant ?downtown? was being
refurbished in 2003. A second, very pleasant motel sits next to the
river: Sky River Inn. Call (360) 677-2261 or check the Web:
www.skyriverinn.com. There is a small library.

?

> Dear Ben,
> when looking at your update which will be very much appreciated I am a
> bit
> confused with below:
>
> P 206, Supplies: Stevenson is an utterly delightful town, with a
> variety of stores, motels, bed-and-breakfasts, and truly excellent
> restaurants. Hikers contemplating a layover day are urged to stay
> there, rather than in more-limited, noisy and busy Cascade Locks.
> Possibly the finest accommodation in Stevenson, and the one closest to
> the PCT, is the Sky River Inn, in Section 44 of Map H1. Call (360)
> 677-2261 or check the Web: www.skyriverinn.com. It is pricey, but
> luxurious, and has its own laundry, sundries store, a USFS- sponsored
> natural history store, hot tubs, and absolutely sumptuous dining. The
> next morning, you can cut behind the golf course on a trail back to the
> highway and quickly regain the PCT.
>

> I believed Sky River Inn is near Skykomish and also their web site
> gives
> more this impression?!?
> Since I am from Switzerland I may get things wrong.
> Appreciate your help and also the corrections in word or rtf form
> Regards
> Adrian alias Matterhorn AT01

Ben Schifrin
Wilderness Press