[pct-l] San Diego Union Tribune Article

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/crest_trail/20040626-9999-1mc26ouch.html

Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail
N. County hikers keep step ahead of injuries
By Elizabeth Fitzsimons
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

June 26, 2004

Editor's note: This is the fifth in an occasional series of stories
following North County residents Paul Longton and Nancy Imbertson as they
hike the Pacific Crest Trail.

Haul a heavy pack for 20 miles up and over mountains, from sunup to sunset
day after day, and it's bound to take a toll on a body.

For the hardy souls bound for Canada on the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail,
physical discomfort is as much part of the experience as the awesome views.

North County hikers Paul Longton and Nancy Imbertson, who began their
journey at the Mexican border April 23, have been lucky. Their maladies
have been mostly confined to their feet, and 900 miles into their trek, the
"oohs" and "aahs" have far outnumbered the "ows."

Now Longton, 55, and Imbertson, 39, are navigating through snow and
ice-cold streams of the high Sierra on feet toughened in the Southern
California desert.

Lack of pain has become a source of pride for them, and even the subject of
some playful bragging. They boast about the muscle growth on Longton's
"gargantuan Popeye" legs, and his powerful posterior, which bounces his
35-pound pack with each stride.

Others aren't as fortunate. Pain and illness can be a constant companion,
and in some cases, will cut short a dream journey.

A hiker soon finds how miserable life is made by one small watery pouch on
a heel. It's worse when there are a several blisters on each foot.

"They sound so trivial, but they can be debilitating," said Angela Ballard,
who with her husband hiked the trail in 2000, then wrote a book, "A
Blistered Kind of Love."

Blisters, swelling, shin splints and joint pain all are common. And weight
loss and fatigue will make a hiker more susceptible to illness and injury.

Longton and Imbertson have learned the importance of listening carefully to
their bodies, devoting at least 15 minutes of conversation a day, for
example, just to the functioning of their digestive tracts, Imbertson said.
They pay even more attention to their feet.

In a dim motel room in the San Bernardino County mountain town of
Wrightwood last month, they sat on the edge of the beds, hunched over their
feet.

They scraped the dirt from under their nails, inspected the blisters,
swabbed their soles with wet wipes, only looking up when a point in their
storytelling required eye contact.

As Imbertson washed their once tan, now gray, socks in the bathroom sink,
Longton straightened his legs and considered his feet.

Several toenails were black, perilously close to falling off. When they do,
he will wrap his toes in the hiker's favorite multipurpose tool: duct tape,
the only material that will stay stuck to a hiker's sweaty foot.

"Buzz" and "Izzy", as they are known on the trail, carry only a Spartan
first aid kit. They are unafraid of mishaps. A rattlesnake bite was
unlikely if they were careful, they reasoned.

A breather
Two weeks ago, Longton, an Oceanside architect, and Imbertson, part owner
of an Encinitas construction business, took a six-day break from the hike
so Longton could attend his son's high school graduation in Oceanside.

With more than 700 miles behind them, their skin was tanned dark as
pennies. Longton sported a white beard, and was eight pounds lighter. He
recouped three pounds after a few days of good eating.

"We're built for hiking. We really are. Strong legs, lean upper bodies and
a passion for it," Longton said, enjoying a cigar on Imbertson's deck.

"We talked about one of things we're very glad we did was start the trail
in shape. We didn't have a lot of weight to lose, or any weight to lose.

"We were good for 20 miles a day. We had a sense of what it took to hike."

And, Imbertson said, "how to manage water." They carefully calculate what
they will need for each stretch, depending on the temperature and available
water sources along the way.

Back on the trail June 13, rattlesnake country was behind them. In the
weeks ahead, they will venture into some of the trail's most treacherous
territory. The high Sierras and northern Washington state are riskier
because they are so remote, so far from medical care, said George Semb, who
with his wife Patricia wrote "Day Hikes on the Pacific Crest Trail."

While hiking alone several years ago, a misstep sent Semb sailing down a
mountainside, he said, where he landed bruised and bloodied. His wife knew
something was wrong when he didn't show at the appointed hour. She went to
Plan B, a second meeting place where she found him.

"If you take a bad fall and break something, someone's going to have to
help you get out and take you to the nearest road," Semb said.

They couple now warns hikers to always make a plan and have someone
expecting their arrival.

Thomas Kinzer barely began his Pacific Crest Trail hike last month when
terrible knee pain ended it. Gulping Advil and fighting the pain, Kinzer
knew his hike was over after just 32 miles.

"Well, it seems the knee is officially injured, so I am unable to return to
the trail," Kinzer wrote May 22 in his Internet journal. He would let the
knee heal, then begin a training regimen. "In the end, the opportunity was
there, but I wasn't ready," he wrote.

In 2000, Karen Borski Somers (trail name: "Nocona") had completed 708 miles
with her husband ? then her boyfriend ? and couldn't shake a cough that
sent spasms through her chest until her ribs ached.

 From Independence in Inyo County, she phoned the hospital in Lone Pine,
where a doctor offered a diagnosis: pulmonary edema.

"This means fluid was collecting in my lungs, and my body was not getting
enough oxygen," explaining the tingling and loss of feeling in her face and
hands, Somers wrote in her Internet journal.

"It would be extremely risky for me to be up at high elevation. The risk
was life and death ? very serious."

Getting their legs back
For their part, Longton and Imbertson marvel at how well they acclimated to
the altitude, such as at the top of Mount Whitney this month.

The week off, however, knocked them off kilter. Imbertson found herself
battling sleepiness upon returning to the trail, where mountain peaks reach
14,000 feet.

"Amazing how quickly the acclimation disappears," she wrote in her journal.
"I think I stayed awake until 6 that evening, one tired girl . . . "

Five days later, at Muir Pass along the John Muir Trail, they reunited with
Buck-30, a hiker they'd befriended before their break. They also found
themselves falling back into the routine they had missed so much while off
the trail. They were getting their legs back.

"People are amazed," Longton said recently, describing other hikers' views
of him and Imbertson.

"At first it's in the pejorative sense that OK, I smoke cigars, she smokes
cigarettes, we drink beer and we drink coffee. And people think nah,
they're not going to last," Longton said.

"Nacho," a hiker in his early 20s, marveled at how the pair could split a
six-pack of beer, then hike 30 miles.

"It's just beer, for God's sake," Longton said.

"Plus," Imbertson said, "a lot of them look at us as old. I mean a lot of
people look at me as being older than I am, 'cause I'm hanging out with an
old guy," she said, laughing.

How irksome it was to hear a young hiker refer to her as "that lady,
meaning substantially his senior," Imbertson said.

"How about 'that chick?' " she asked.

To be continued  . .