[pct-l] Speaking of old PCT diamond markers

I did a short section of the PCT a few days ago. I won't
say where, for fear of stirring up the hornet's nest. But I
will say that, between hiking 16 miles southbound and then
retracing my steps northbound, I saw at least 8 and possibly
10 of the old PCT diamonds. Most were in good shape, too.

This is more than I saw on an entire 200 mile section hike
last summer. This, of course, prompted me to wonder why this
short section still held so many markers. The only answer
I could come up with was that this short section is rarely
traveled by any but thru-hikers and section-hikers, and
seldom sees a recreational hiker. No other explanation made
any kind of sense.

OTOH, this does speak rather better of thru-hikers and section
hikers, and their ability to leave the old diamonds alone.
(What thru-hiker has time to idly pry off a marker anyway?)

Just thought I'd share this.