[pct-l] Arriving into USA this Sunday !

I've been reading the recent flurry of posts regarding transportation to
The Trail by overseas hikers. The preparation and logistics of a long
trail hike is significant for even us folk who live close to The Trail.
You guys flying in from afar have the additional headache of making your
way to the trail from the major airports AND finishing up your supply
purchases and mail drops between the day you arrive and the time you
plan to start at the trail head! Tough job...

But, as a Southern California native, I'd like to advise to those flying
in of a couple things. Assuming you've never been to California:

1) Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is NOT near downtown LA. It's
at least a 15 minute drive on the freeway (without heavy traffic, which
is becoming more and more frequent). The last time I had to make my way
into downtown LA from LAX took me an hour during non-peak traffic at
about 10am. This was in my own truck. Public transportation (metrorail,
bus, etc.) will take MUCH longer.
2) Within downtown LA itself, I can't think of ANY place where you can
buy groceries. Sure, there are a few "hole-in-the-wall" mini-markets,
but these won't stock the stuff you'll need for a backpack trip. I don't
believe there are even any supermarkets in the downtown area. You'd have
to drive about 10 minutes outside the downtown area to get to a
supermarket. And beware of the neighborhood you wander into. You'd be
safer heading west/northwest. To the south is "South Central LA". To the
east is "East LA". You'll want to avoid both of these areas. To the
north/northeast is "China Town" (just across the street from Union
Station). A wonderful place, but no stores that supply backpacking
supplies. To the west isn't much better, but you'll find supermarkets
spaced apart about 4-6 miles on major intersections.

I suggest you find a "Trader Joe's", a decent sporting goods retailer
(REI, Sport Chalet), or a big, major supermarket for the types of foods
and supplies you'll want to buy. And unless you're looking for
ethnic/exotic food stuffs that you want to dehydrate yourself, downtown
LA is a bad place to shop for packable food. I could be wrong, and if I
am, and there are places to get this stuff in downtown LA, you'll spend
FOREVER finding these places.

I also suggest that you by-pass LA altogether. The stores I cite above
are more likely to be found in the more affluent suburbs you'll pass
through along the way.
Check out store locations at:
www.rei.com
www.sportchalet.com
www.traderjoes.com

However you plan to get yourself from the airport to the trail, you'd do
well to escape the LA area as soon as possible. Best would be to rent a
car (freedom to shop at will). Or even better would be to have someone
from the area to pick you up from the airport! If you have to take
public transportation, try and plan a stop in the San Fernando Valley.
Here you'll find all the retailers who specialize in backpacking
supplies fairly close to one another.

Good Luck!

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m