[pct-l] Mt Hood trail September

Good afternoon, George,

Late September around Mt. Hood is superb.  The worst of the summer's heat is
past, few mosquitoes will be seen, there should be no snow pack on the
trail, and the streams and rivers will be about as low as they ever get
which means good fording.

While there can be, and has been, snow storms on every day of the calendar
up there, you will probably experience 60-80 deg. F days and 30-45 deg. F
nights.  Humidity will be low, as that will be the late part of the forest
fire season, but be prepared for mountain storms of rain and/or snow.  The
sun can be brutal in that high clear air, so be prepared.

You mention, ". the PCT surrounding Mt Hood".  You do not mention where you
wish to start of finish, but one excellent choice is Trail-600, the
Timberline Trail.  Trail-600 totally circumnavigates Mt. Hood, mostly around
timberline, which on this mountain is at an altitude of about 6000 ft.  The
trail is about 40 miles around, and there is parking at several places
around the mountain for short, or zero, approaches.  About 16 miles of
Trail-600 is coincident with Trail-2000, the PCT.  The PCT joins Trail-600
about a mile and a half southeast of Timberline Lodge, and they are the same
tread around the west and northwest sides of the mountain until the PCT
separates north and heads for Lolo Pass and eventually Cascade Locks.

While Trail-600 is nominally at timberline, its low point is west of the
peak where the trail crosses the Sandy River at 3200 ft.  The high point is
east of the peak where it traverses below Cooper Spur at 7300 ft.  Being a
loop trail, the net gain in altitude is zero, but the total altitude gain,
i.e. the sum of all upgrade, is around 11,000 ft.  The average grade is 13%.
There are about a dozen creeks and rivers to cross, only a few of which have
bridges.  In September the worst crossing should only be mid-calf deep, and
refreshing.

Hikers complete the trail in anywhere between 1 to 7 days.  For me, two
20-mile days is about right, leaving Timberline Lodge, going clockwise
around the mountain, and spending a night at Wy'east Basin or Elk Cove on
the north side.  Hiking the last mile or so in that dune-sand, makes the
thought of a cold Ice Ax beer waiting at the lodge awfully encouraging.

Enjoy.

Steel-Eye