[pct-l] Alternate route Cascade Locks to Panter Creek

In a message dated 6/10/2004 1:08:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Brita1919@aol.com writes:

> I have had considerable discussion via E-mail with Jeff Schaffer
> strongly suggesting he should not be listing this as an alternate route in
> his
> guide book. He under estimates the backpackers ability to read maps and
> distances to determine whether he wants to reduce his mileage at this
> location or
> many other road walks along the way.

So would you suggest the authors take ALL alternate routes out of the
guidebook,  such as the Crater Lake Rim Trail or Eagle Creek Trail among others?

There were several other "historical or resupply" alternates I took mentioned
in the guides and enjoyed doing.  Even the PCTA acknowledges a "2600-miler"
as long as they "generally follow the crest" or PCT proper.

If you don't wish to take an alternate, don't.

YMMV,

Sly