[pct-l] We're hiking Washington PCT this year

As another long-standing Portland native, I have to agree with Ron and Yogi,
but to me it is more of a safety issue than geography. Once you get past the
potentially dangerous crossing of the Bridge of the Gods and into Washington
state, you turn left (west) to pick up the PCT and right (east) to begin the
alternate road walk. Granted, the road is shorter, but you're walking on
state highway 14, which has virtually no shoulders in most places and is a
two lane road running along the river. There are lots of blind curves. It
would be real easy to get picked off by an on-coming vehicle. (You do
remember that when road walking to do so on the left-hand side of the road
so that you are facing the on-coming traffic? You can see them and they -
hopefully - can see and avoid you. That way, nothing sneaks up behind you
unannounced. I lost two PCT thru-hiking friends that way in the recent
past.) .

This is a long section with poor resupply possibilities - like section H
through the Sierras. BUT, but the time you get here, you're in great shape.
Cascade Locks is a natural resupply point. From there it is 148 miles to
White Pass. That's only 7 days and a wake-up at 20 mpd.

Cascade Locks to Panther Creek CG via PCT = 35 miles
Cascade Locks to PC via alternate road walk   = 14 miles. Carson is 7 miles
into this walk.
Panther Creek to road 23 = 47 miles. Trout Lake (possible resupply) is 14
miles south down this paved road. Not really worth the time IMHO.
Road 23 to White Pass = 62 miles

The road walk only saves you one day. Stick to the trail and enjoy the lack
of people.

Wandering Bob