[pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

msaenz@mve-architects.com writes:

> Are there web sites which describe gear lists, break down individual item
> weights, how one piece of gear is used for more than one purpose, etc?
> preferably gear lists of successful PCT thru-hikers?

_____

Flyin' Brian's winter and summer gearlists for his Triple Crown hike are at:

http://royrobinson.homestead.com/GearList.html

Ron Moak's comments, particularly, reflect a whole lot of trail and gear
experience.  Hiking with ultralight gear requires some knowledge about how to use
it.  It's a great idea, but you should first of all feel comfortable with your
equipment.  You get that through some test hikes or, at least, some extensive
"reading up" on the subject.  If you're worried about surviving with what's
on your back when things get dicey on the trail, then you should rethink some
of your gear options.

Anticipate how you will handle a night of wind-blown sleet at 10,000 feet, or
a water cache that isn't there.  HYOH also implies not hiking someone else's
system if you're uncomfortable with it.  That just makes you a candidate for a
Darwin award.

Another thing, (just one of my personal hiking hangups), I never carry
anything in my hands except my hiking poles.  Water and other essentials go in the
pack, even in the desert.