Fwd: Re: [pct-l] Bear Attack.... or Food for thought

Maybe it was because scouts had just been there, but there was no
litter around Little Jimmy trail camp.  The Fish and Game man said it
was "polluted bears" that were use to the garbage from the bad
concessionaires at now closed Crystal Lake, just a stone throw away
on the other side of Windy Gap, that are causing the trouble.  There
are tons of bears in these mountains, but only one or two that hunt
the trail camps.  I asked the Fish and Game why they don't put a bear
box in there and he said that it wasn't that simple, that the bear
just learns that he needs to get the food before it goes in the box.
Last year he said that "your cub" was knocking hikers down and
ripping the food right off their backs.  I have the fear that if we
stop using the camp, which we should, that this would cause the bear
to attack our hikers on the trail.

I have only been to the Sierras twice, but when a bear saw me he
split as fast as he could.  I have never tree-d my food.  I didn't
carry the rope to do so.  Everyone but you seems to be surprised at
this situation.  You know, I have friends who do go to the Sierras
and swear that they never have put food in their tent........, but
the bears learn to associate tents with food and they have come back
to the tent after a days outing only to find the tent shredded.  The
same with Mark, who didn't have food in the car but got his car
destroyed anyway, because the bears associate cars with food.  Do you
think Mark was stupid?  His car didn't have food in it.

By the way, Fish and Game does a wonderful job.  Do you really think
they are "trigger happy Rangers"?  First off, the rangers is not the
proper agency.  Second, they send someone out there to to evaluate
the bear behavior in the area.  Third, they analyze the findings.  It
is not realistic to think they will close the mountain and shut down
the PCT, so they discuss whether moving the bear will help.  Fish and
Game takes the job seriously, not "Oh boy, let's us shoot a
bear.....OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
Yours truly, Capt Bivy