[pct-l] Solo backpacking

Hi,

I'm mulling over doing some backpacking on the PCT in the vicinity of Yosemite and/or Kings Canyon/Sequoia later on this summer.  It's sort of a John Muir pilgrimage. I've done some solo backpacking before up around Mount Rainier and in the North Cascades, but I'm always sort of uncomforatable.  I'm not so much worried about the "get hurt and not be able to get help" scanario as much as large predators.  My book on bear safety says I should always ask rangers about "food habituated" bears when I go packpacking, but most rangers I've asked seemed to think it was a sort of silly question.  One was even kind of rude about it ("We don't have food habituated bears *here*!" he said).  I love the back country and enjoy the solitude of a solo backpacking adventure, but I still have a lingering "bearanoia", as a friend put it.
Anyway, to cut to the chase, what generally is the situation with bears and mountain lions in the area I'm talking about in the back country.  I was also wondering if anybody has backpacked alone through this area and what thier experiences were like.  I've been reading several of John Muir's accounts of exploring the area and he made it sound like there were no real problems unless you were a sheep.

thanks,
Jon