[pct-l] permits

Point taken.
I should have been clearer that I was referring to Southern California with my comments...

But,
You're not required to have a permit for the Shasta/Trinity NF??? Or you simply don't bother getting one...

I think the permit system serves a much needed purpose, at least here in SoCal.
We encountered the trailhead kiosk sign-in registration in Colorado. Even though this was conducted on the "Honor System", the reasons for registration are the same, You get to find out who and how many folks are in the area, and probably more important, forest management knows who and how many folks are up there! (you NF Rangers chime in here!)

Not to criticize, but I would recommend adhering to USDAFS permit requirements. Even though you live and hike in less populated areas, and may not see anyone for days on end, it's important to let the folks who are tasked to maintain our forests know how much use any particular area is getting.

I could also skip getting a permit in many places here and not encounter anyone else (or at least a ranger), but a little planning and a quick phone call will secure a wilderness permit and even have it mailed to you!

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m