[pct-l] flies the size of small children

so does deet work on these huge flies?

<pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>Subject: RE: [pct-l] RE: pct-l Digest, Vol 12, Issue 32
>Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:47:26 -0700
>
>Ron,
>In my experiences of Section "A", having been on this part of
the Trail in May, June, January, February, March & April...
>I have not encountered mosquitoes in any numbers that would be cause for
concern. They're there, sure enough, but they're not a problem...

>Section "B" is another story altogether.
>I once forgot to verify that I had packed repellent. This was in June up
in the San Jacintos.
>The mosquitoes, though numerous and an annoyance were not anywhere near
as bad as the flies that live up there.

>These monsters will land on you without you noticing. Then, their
initial bite MUST have some sort of anesthetic that numbs you from the
chewing they give you! Once they're done, they leave a visibly open wound
that will begin to itch like crazy! Without even touching the bite (and you
WILL begin to scratch, Oh you will...) it will swell up to a raised bump of
at least 1/4"...

>I forgot repellent and I was eaten alive. I was tormented by the bites
for two weeks before they healed over. I still have faint scars on my legs
from that episode...The horror....the HORROR....