[pct-l] for experienced PCTer's

If  I might poach off a few of points made by Christopher and add a
choice or two of mine

><snip> Second, I highly, highly, highly recommend
>that you not hike in the short sleeve shirt in SoCal and the Sierra, and
>instead go with a long sleeve shirt.

Instead of spending 50 -100 bucks on a specialty long-sleeved shirt for
Southern Cal, shop at a thrift store for a light, white, cotton dress
shirt.  If it doesn't work for you, you can pitch it.  The cuffs are
stiff enough to roll up if you need to let your forearms breathe.  It
can be unbuttoned all the way, and still leave a lot of sun protection.
 In the real heat, you can wet it down and it will stay damp and cool
longer than wicking fabrics.  They can be pretty darn light.

>I'm not a big short gaiter fan, so I'd probably leave them at home.
>Others like them, though.

I'm one of those.  As I get tired, I have a tendency to scuff my feet
and gather the annoying gravel pebbles into my low top shoes.  I have a
pair of breathable supplex gaitors (I'm sorry I can't give you the
brand.  I'm one of those ninnies that tears off advertising tags and
this is one of the prices I pay.) that fasten just below where the shoe
begins.

>What you have looks good for starting. Remember that it is a lot colder in
>SoCal than many people think (<snip>

4:00 PM on the west coast right now, and 46 F  degrees in Camp under
cloudy and sometimes wet skies.

TONIGHT (For San Jacinto and the Desert Divide)
PARTLY CLOUDY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE EVENING.
LOWS 29 TO 39. WEST WINDS 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 45 MPH
DECREASING TO 15 TO 20 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. SNOW LEVEL 5000 FEET.