[pct-l] GPS, distance and speed.

Hi Adrian!

Whoa! Information overload!!!!
;)

I haven't really studied GPS technology. Just learned enough to try and make a good decision one which one to buy, since I was looking at spending $100 to $200 on one. Dropping that kind of change tends to make one hesitate and think about what you're getting for it!

Though since I bought it, any info I come across immediately becomes interesting.
The most fascinating tidbit is the idea that the government restricts the accuracy of the retail GPS units.
I'd be interested in seeing what the US soldiers are carrying in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I thought that the electronics inside the GPS was what was "limited". The idea that the government embeds "jitter" in the signal emitted from GPS satellites is intriguing!

All said and done, researched, discussed and experienced, I've come to the belief that my GPS is reporting more accurate data than a wheeled odometer. As an architect, having a little knowledge of how Civil Engineers survey topography, I do know that surveyors have all now abandoned their old plumb line transits for GPS and GIS mapping technologies. As you know, just about ALL the current USGS topo maps still are based on old survey data, only recently being updated with GIS technology, map by map. Just about each and every benchmark I come across while hiking disagrees with my GPS elevation report. I'll tend to believe that human error would be a more plausible cause for the discrepancy and trust the GPS data.

Has anyone brought a GPS to the top of Whitney to see how accurate the old benchmark elevation is? Is it REALLY 14,494'?
Though, I suppose peaks (especially high ones with many, many distant line of sight triangulation points) would be easier to survey and therefor more likely to be accurate.

Though I'm by no stretch of the imagination a "technophile", I can admit human fallibility. I make more than my share of mistakes each and every day! I know some folks will swear by the guidebook "bibles" and the talented hand of someone wheeling off miles. We all have our (humble?) opinions. But if my GPS comes within a 1/10 of a mile over a 10 mile day of hiking, then that's accurate enough for my purposes!

Horse beaten. Onto new subjects!

No wait! One more item: My buddy Bill uses a weight watchers pedometer when he hikes. And THAT came within 1/4 mile of what my GPS reported as 21.8 miles!!!!!

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m