[pct-l] GPS, distance and speed.

The other problem is that GPS may not take into account the vertical
component of your route. For example, if you travel a mile in the horizontal
plane, but also climb a mile vertically while doing so (I know that would be
really steep) your actual distance travelled is 1.4 miles (the equation for
the hypotenuse of a triangle) while the GPS may report your distance as a
mile (just using the lat/long coordinates).

I know that my GPS - the Garmin Geko 201 - consistantly under-reports
mileage when I'm on steep, switchbacking terrain but is right on for
straight, flat trails.  I'm not sure if its becuase of the vertical distance
or the reason that Dude mentioned in his emails.  Maybe both.  You could
probably find this info from the GPS company.

Steve