[pct-l] Forest Service PCT Maps Sample at Trail Fest

In a message dated 4/8/2004 9:27:38 AM Pacific Standard Time,
JHolliday@communitycouncil.org writes:
According to the Forest Service staff at the Trail Fest, they aren't
marketing the maps to thrus.  They're targeting section hikers and day hikers.  The
maps were beautiful, but I wouldn't buy them for a thru hike--too heavy, too
many, too expensive and too much extra paper.
As section hikers, we used Forest Service PCT maps for our hikes in Oregon
(and some in California) and they were great. They showed the PCT and the
intersecting roads that provided trail access. A MUST-have for Section hikers.
We have them for Washington too. Unfortunately, Washington doesn't have so
many roads that intersect the PCT. But, for Section hikers, that's important
information also ... helps a lot in planning.
Last year in Oregon, I didn't even have my backpack with me. After seeing the
Washington maps, it would be a waste of time to go there without a backpack
for overnight trips on the PCT.
Charlie