[pct-l] GPS, distance and speed.

Guy,
Most GPS models out there have standard features such as speed (current, average and max), distance traveled and elevation. Prices for these have fallen dramatically in the last couple years.

I carry a Garmin Rhino 110.
But pretty much all the time, I only use the distance, average speed, elevation and "go to" navigation features.
It does much, much more (more than I've learned how to use so far), but these three features get me from point A to point B in the most efficient manner.

With a USGS Topo map in hand, I can pinpoint my location by estimating distance traveled on the map and matching up the elevation the GPS is telling me. The average speed will tell me when I'll get to any particular destination at any given point.
And I always store waypoint coordinates at the trailhead, campsites and final destination, and any interesting points between by locating the coordinates on my mapping software.

So, my point is: If all you want are the basic features, might I suggest a Geko? At 3.1 oz (minus batteries), it's a compact, lightweight GPS.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m