[pct-l] Question from Guy

In a message dated 4/8/2004 7:12:39 AM Mountain Standard Time,
IlaganG@cofc.edu writes:
My question is.... is it appropriate for me to give the listserve info to 2
*non-dramatic* loved ones, then they could ask you guys how to best reach me in
a *real* emergency.

As the wife of a hiker, I can attest to the value of reading this list. Aside
from the idea of using this list in case of an emergency, which I would
question,  I find the greatest benefit is of obtaining information about water and
trail updates, that is useful to my husband.  I then alert him when he calls
me from resupplies.

In addition to showing your family members how to read your emails from this
list, I would urge you to give them the list of towns where you plan to
resupply.  The book, "The Pacific Crest Trail Town Guide" has phone numbers at most
towns along the trail (fire stations, camp stores, etc).  I have and will
continue to use this as a great resource when I need to call ahead for my husband.
 If you have Yogi's guidebook (which is a MUST, if you don't have it yet, buy
it today...), be sure that your family contacts are familiar with it and have
access to it in your absence.

In addition to your family members being able to GET information with this
listserve, there is also the perspective that they can GIVE information to this
listserve.  Whenever you talk to them, tell them about the trail and water and
any pertinent info that you know YOU'D like to have if you were planning a
trip.

Information is power, and in an emergency, it will help your family stay *non
dramatic*!! =:-)

Happy Trails!

Betsy