[pct-l] O.T. Digital Cameras and Thru-Hikes

I'm considering a digital camera, but am concerned about battery longevity
on longer backpacking trips. I use one at work and noticed once the the
supplied lithium battery was no longer good, rechargeable NIMH don't have
that much of a life. What are you doing for the battery situation? The
thought of a solar recharging unit sounds heavy.

I'd prefer a small manual conventional SLR or similar, as the battery's only
needed to operate the meter, but it might outweigh the digital, in film and
body weight.  Any ideas?

-Ken M.