[pct-l] KM to Onyx, Bakersfield

I can help you from Onyx to Bakersfield. Take the Kern County Regional
Transport bus from the general store in Onyx to Lake Isabella (you have to
call for it to come to Onyx), then the KCRT bus to Bakersfield - goes right
to the amtrak and then the Greyhound stations. Here's the schedule:
http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/pdf/Lake_Isabella-Bakersfield.pdf

Hitching a ride to Onyx from Walker Pass can be tricky and you DEFINITELY do
not want to walk this route. It is not all downhill, has no shade, no water,
just hot asphalt and cars screaming past you at high speed. Your best chance
would be at the pass itself where the PCT crosses the highway. Cars are
still going slow there. Once they get over the pass and start west down to
Onyx, they fly through those curves and trying to stop is dangerous so they
are not likely to do so. Your next best chance would be to walk down to the
Walker Pass Campground - although mid-week pickings could be slim - and beg.
Cars have to stop coming out of the campground or risk getting T-boned on
the highway. you can get water at the campground.

How you get from Kennedy Meadow to Walker Pass - other than walk the 49
miles south on the PCT - is your problem.

Wandering Bob