[pct-l] Monte's trip to the book store

 Hit used book store today for treasure and found some! I got Ann and Myron Sutton's PCT Escape to the Wilderness book which is copywrite 1975. New book to me and ready to start reading. ( Cost was 8.00 in mint shape.
  Also picked up three National Geographic mags. First was the famous June 1971 issue on the PCT . ( A must for any thru-hiker with tons of history of the trail.
  Next NG mag.is July 1954 issue with all the pics and story of Everest. I also got a Sept. 1953 issue with pics and history of the Yukon. ( My Great Grandfather was a horse packer in the Gold Rush over White Pass and Dead horse gulch route!!)
   Last great find was a book " REI: 50 years of Climbing together". Great book copyright 1988 by Harvey Manning on all you ever wanted to know about history or inter-workings of REI!! Pictures of early days and how it was a mouse till Seattle got the " World's Fair" . 1960 membership was 19,160, by 1969 it was 132,225.
  History of Catalog section is most entertaining from 1970's. 1970 - REI offer climbing nuts. 1971- Trapper Nelson packs are gone! Jansport Pack arrive. Primus stoves are gone. 1972- First ice axe with " Aluminum "  handle 39.95! 1973- Bikes arrive 1974- New Sherpa aluminu snowshoes from Ellensburg farm boys!! 1975- Leading sleeping bag is Fiberfill II!!! 1978- Banner Year!! New Goretex, Lifa and Pile from Patagonia.
   Inflation 1970 Svea Stove? 9.95 1979 23.90 same stove!
  1940's catalog  says Ice Axe lengths 33 to 38 inches!!  I will try to bring this book to KO as it is a kick.
   TIP for PCT thru-hikers----- Read all you can on history, wildlife,flowers, rocks etc. about this trail as it really adds to your trip!!! Monte