From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Tanya Diede
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 3:26 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] PCT in Oregon?

My husband and I are new to the thru-hike idea so please pardon any
ignorance we might unknowingly express. We are avid short-trip backpackers
(3 to 14 day trips) but are ready to take our backpacking experience to a
whole new level. We want to complete the entire PCT, however, we are a bit
constrained with time because we are both in the process of finishing
masters degrees and transitioning into new jobs. So we will have to settle
(for now) to do the trail in segments... it's hard enough having to explain
to the new employer a need for a two month vacation, nevermind trying to
request for anything more than that.

Our goal is to complete the Oregon section in spring/summer 2006 and
Washington in 2007, saving Cali for a later time. Our big question is: what
is the earliest and most reasonable time in the spring/summer to hit the
trail in either Seiad Valley (Cali) or Ashland (OR) based on weather, trail
conditions, etc with the idea of us going north all the way thru to Portland
area? I have heard some horror stories about too much snow, extreme low
temps, etc in May and June, too many mosquitoes in June and July, and a lack
of water in August. It's never going to be perfect, but we're looking for
the path of least resistance! Out of these options, our preference is to
take our chances with snow and cold temps, but we would like some
experienced advice on this. We would be coming from Michigan where we do
winter camping in the sub-zero temps so we're not afraid of snow or cold
temps, but from my backpacking experiences in the Cali Sierras, mountain
snow and cold temps can be a completel
 different ball game. Would it be crazy or even possible to begin/complete a
thru-hike of the PCT in Oregon in May/June or would we be better off waiting
until mid or even late summer?

Thanks in advance!!
Tanya and Jonathan

Do you Yahoo!?